- What is the difference between a need and a want?
- What does your physical body need to survive?
- Are there other needs besides physical ones?
- Have you ever met someone who was actually starving, or in physical danger because of their unmet needs for shelter or water?
“John answered, “The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.” -Luke 3:11 NIV
John the Baptist was a prophet who was telling people who recognized their selfishness and greed what to do when they realized what they were doing was sinful. They asked him what they should do. The verse above was one of his responses, among others.
- Have you ever recognized something you were doing or thinking was selfish or wrong?
- Have you ever asked anyone what you should do about it? Have you prayed to God for help?
Sometimes it it’s hard to imagine yourself as one who has extra stuff until you notice someone who has nothing at all, and feel bad about their situation.
- What needs do you notice around you?
- What can you do to help meet the needs of others?
- How can we practice generosity that pleases God? As a group, or as individuals?
Let’s ask God to give us instructions about what he wants us to do in response to recognizing our own selfishness.